Follow on Blogger Home Join The Network Become An Author Contact
Twitter Facebook Digg Stumbleupon More

Thursday 25 August 2011

I Hate Painting Yellow

Just a really quick post to say I would have some pictures up of a Squad of Tacticals but upon review the paint is so thick that I'm going to have to re-do most of them. Enough thin layers does turn into thick layers haha.

I am currently trying to get a right amount with this Vallejo yellow as it covers alot better than GW yellow so my techniques with that have now become useless.

Very frustrating.

I don't think I'll ever want to paint yellow again once I'm finished with this army haha.

I love my Imperial Fists but they are a pain.

Thanks!

*Update* It seems with a coat of Vallejo foundation white and a couple of thin layers of the yellow you get a nice coverage. I will continue to update this.

*Update* I think I may concede to painting yellow. I may just get a spray and then dry rush over the top of that. What do you think?

*Update* I'm going to give it once last try with a technique and if it doesn't work I'm spraying 'em.

*Update* I may try using a darker yellow (like a Golden Yellow) over the Iyanden and then put the brighter yellow over that.

Warflake out

[End Transmission]

3 comments:

  1. Yellow is an odd one – very difficult to get smooth solid coverage. The spray sounds like a good idea, then a watered ink layer to shade the recess, followed by some edge highlights. Worth a shot I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

    A good friend of mine who used to work for GW, gave me the best advice for yellow ever. Works over a black primer, too!

    The key is to start with a slightly thinned base layer of Vomit Brown. Then use Golden Yellow, then highlight with Sunburst Yellow. The key is the Vomit Brown. I had tried several different combinations with foundation paints, Vallejo paints, etc. This works great, and it is so simple. You can add a wash, but I think it looks better without it. You can see an example on my Ork Bad Moonz Nobz on my blog: asmodai650.blogspot.com

    I hate to see you give up. But I know how frustrating it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yellow is a hard color all together. I had an Iyanden Ghost Warrior force from 3rd on, and painting those bright yellow bodies I think is what did me in on painting.

    I have heard people complain about white, but I haven't had nearly the issues as I did with getting yellow to look good.

    A nice yellowish foundation paint base color that matches (more or less) what you want your end color to be, then adding yellow on top of that might help out. I know I use the GW Astronomicon Grey then paint over that with my Dead White. The whites tend to come out looking much better, smoother, and brighter afterward.

    Not sure if that made any sense, but hope it helpes.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...